Sunday 4 November 2007

Hurt

This is not really a fully formed post, so please forgive the stream of consciousness.....

I have always been very sensitive and easily upset. I am particularly easily hurt by people I love or respect.

This has been a lot worse over the past couple of years - with the whole bipolar thing.

There are those who say that no one can hurt your feelings, rather it is you choose to feel hurt.

That may be true.

But in my experience, I seem to be so easily cut down by the words or actions of others. It can take me days to recover from an off-the-cuff comment (one in which the person may not have even been aware that my feelings were hurt).

Which brings the dilemma. My doctor would say, it's best to pretend it's all OK and recover in isolation from that individual. But is that the biblical approach?

1 comment:

Laura T said...

I'm not sure what's biblical, sometimes I think it is best to work stuff out yourself and show the other person grace, especially if its a one off and you know it was completely unintended, but sometimes I find that I can't let go and am fostering a grudge so I have to work stuff out with the person instead. I think that if we have a close friend who has a personality flaw that is regularly hurtful we may have a biblical responsibility to gently rebuke them for the sake of their witness.

Personally, if I ever hurt you Jill I'd like to know so I can make things right. I know I can be flippant at times and say stupid thoughtless things and I'd much prefer to be pulled up on them so I can apologise rather than have you painfully work it out yourself. I believe good friendships can and should survive this honesty.

:)

NAVIGATING LIFE AS A CHRISTIAN WITH BIPOLAR AFFECTIVE DISORDER