Tuesday 9 June 2009

Scum of the earth

1 Corinthians 4: 10 - 13
“We are fools for Christ, but you are so wise in Christ! We are weak, but you are strong! You are honored, we are dishonored! To this very hour we go hungry and thirsty, we are in rags, we are brutally treated, we are homeless. We work hard with our own hands. When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it; when we are slandered, we answer kindly. Up to this moment we have become the scum of the earth, the refuse of the world.”

Am I willing to be like Paul – to be a considered a fool for Christ? Am I prepared to be on life’s scrap-heap? Am I ready to put aside the things of this world, the things I have built up and relied on, the things that tell me I’m worthwhile, that I am somebody?

Who is Jill without the world props of work and position and money and deeds?

I am a child of the Father – that is who I am and that is everything. One day I will hear the Lord say 'Come, you who are blessed by my Father; take your inheritance, the kingdom prepared for you since the creation of the world.’

Why then do I act like it isn’t enough?
Why do I need to safeguard against failure? Why do I want to have a backup plan?
Do I not trust that God’s love is strong enough to carry me through? Do I not believe that his grace is greater than my sinfulness?

What kind of God do I trust in?

No comments:

NAVIGATING LIFE AS A CHRISTIAN WITH BIPOLAR AFFECTIVE DISORDER