Tuesday 4 September 2007

Birthday

This week I celebrated my 4th anniversary as a Christian. As I re-listen to the sermon through which I was converted, and re-read the subsequent letter I sent to my friend Jaime, who preached that day, there is much to contemplate.

It is near impossible to separate my spiritual journey from my illness. My diagnosis of Bipolar Affective Disorder shattered my concept of self and my place in the world, and dramatically altered my experience of God.

In my letter to Jaime, I wrote "I used to think that one had to earn salvation and that God tallied up our sins and other good deeds to decide whether we 'got in' or not. This ridiculous notion meant that I could never win God's love because my sinfulness always overpowered any good... The whole idea of grace is new to me, you see."

It's ironic, the works based mentality that kept me from relationship with God for so long, is still the thing struggle with.

I "work" hard at church and go to doctrine lectures to memorise "Simul justus et peccator". One may well ask has anything changed in four years?

Ultimately I must ask the question, can God accept a broken, subnormal woman, whose only thoughts are evil all the time, to be his child?

1 comment:

Philip Britton said...

Yes God can, and has accepted you, because of the worth of Christ.

"subnormal" is not a right word to use about any human being. Brokeness, sinfulness, need, dependency... this is what being a human being after the fall looks like. Any other idea of humanity is illusion.
But thanks be to God that we are being remade in the image of Christ by the holy spirit.

NAVIGATING LIFE AS A CHRISTIAN WITH BIPOLAR AFFECTIVE DISORDER