Saturday 6 October 2007

?Coincidence?

'Coincidence = a striking occurrence of two or more events at one time apparently by mere chance'.
I prefer to believie in a sovereign God who ordains and organises every moment for His glory.

Case in point:
Yesterday I wasn't feeling great - had a doctor's appointment and decided to take rest of day off. After my appointment, went for coffee in Leichhardt. Ordered my Latte and grabbed a book to browse through.

At a nearby table I overheard 2 guys talking about the topic of suffering. Suffering in the Christian context. I tried not to eavesdrop, but it was really hard, given my interest in the subject matter.

Anyway it turns out that one of the guys was Byron Smith, whose blog "Nothing New Under the Sun" I regularly read. Byron went to college with one of my close friends. So I decided to sms this friend to tell him the weirdness of sitting in the coffee shop listening to this conversation.
My friend immediately sent an sms to Byron, drawing his attention to my presence.

So I pretty much had to introduce myself. We had a brief chat and I left feeling very much better and very encouraged.

For those of you who are interested, I think the main message is that whilst there are many hypotheses regarding why suffering exists, the answer to suffering is the good news of Jesus Christ.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's great Jill. I went to uni with Byron too - he's a great bloke!

Jill said...

Talk about six degrees of separation - everyone seems to know him. Have you read his blog? I think it's one of the best 'theology' blogs out there. My friend Jaime, who you met in the UK, went to Moore with Bryon. Jaime says he was clearly the smartest guy in the class.

I have a link to Byron's blog on my home page. It is well worth a visit.

Hope all is well with you. Thanks for reading

J

byron smith said...

Erin & Jill - how do you know each other?

Jill said...

Erin and I met at St James Croydon 3 years ago, just before she headed o/s

NAVIGATING LIFE AS A CHRISTIAN WITH BIPOLAR AFFECTIVE DISORDER