Saturday 13 October 2007

My Big Black Dog

My Black Dog of Depression is howling tonight - he seems huge, he snarles and bares his teeth. He sits back on his haunches, as if ready to pounch and devour me.
But my Black Dog doesn't know that I am armed.
I am prepared.
My weapon will reduce him to a newborn pup - helpless and defenceless.

My weapon is the full armor of God.

Psalm 42: 5-6 Why are you downcast, O my soul? Why so disturbed within me? Put your hope in God, for I will yet praise Him, my Saviour and my God.

2 Corinthians 4: 8 -9, 16-18. We are hard pressed on every side, but not crushed; perplexed, but not in despair; persecuted, but not abandoned; struck down, but not destroyed.
Therefore we do not lose heart. Though outwardly we are wasting away, yet inwardly we are being renewed day by day. For our light and momentary troubles are achieving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all. So we fix our eyes not on what is seen, but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary, but what is unseen is eternal.

4 comments:

Craig Tubman said...

Hey Jill,

Great post. It is sad to hear you had a rough night, but using the scriptures to remind yourself and fight is such a beautiful thing,
As a friend of mine used to say "we remember in the darkness what we've learned in the light".

As for my doctor, his name is Dr. Waddell. I reached him through RPA - as a public patient.
Do you know him?

Jill said...

Thanks Craig,
I think it works the other way too - it is only by experiencing the darkness, can we truly appreciate the light.
Some of my fav. verses are about morning. (I'm always so relieved when it's arrived)

Psalm 30 For his anger lasts only a moment, but his favor lasts a lifetime; weeping may remain for a night, but rejoicing comes in the morning.

Psalm 130 My soul waits for the Lord more than watchmen wait for the morning, more than watchmen wait for the morning.

Lamentations 3 Because of the LORD's great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.

Craig Tubman said...

What a great idea - the morning

I'd never thought of it like that. Thanks for sharing that, its really encouraging.

and as for 'my exercises' pre operation...I'm a little clueless as to what you mean exactly...

Jill said...

Thought he'd have you strengthening your quads (muscles in front of your thigh) before the surgery. But maybe not. You'll certainly have to afterwards though. One little muscle in particular has a tendency to go to mush and needs to be worked back.

NAVIGATING LIFE AS A CHRISTIAN WITH BIPOLAR AFFECTIVE DISORDER